The origins of the school go back to the 15th century. The present site has been the location of the school since 1806. The present building, opened in 1898, is the second to stand on this site and originally provided education for children up to 14.
Leith Primary School, is very much part of the local landscape. Topped proudly as it is by a ship, a reminder of Leith’s maritime past, it is a well recognised landmark. We are very fortunate to have access to an area of Leith Links just in front of the school. In 1998 the school celebrated our Centenary with a number of special events.
Inside there are tall staircases, long corridors and high ceilings where many of the original Victorian features are still in evidence. Although the fabric of the building is over 100 years old, the classrooms are large and light.
In 2014 the School gym hall and Nursery in the Duncan Place Annex were closed. The new Gym Hall and Nursery will be opened at the end of January 2018.